Dr. Samuel Andrew Hardy (e-mail)
Specialist in the trade in illicit antiquities and the destruction of community and cultural property. Experienced in archaeological, historical and ethnographic research, and in managing risk and working in challenging environments (Cyprus, Turkey, Greece and Kosovo). Able to work independently and under pressure. Capable of learning languages; speaks Greek and Turkish. Seeking work on organised crime and political violence.
Adjunct Professor, American University of Rome, 23rd January 2014-present
- Teaching Cultural Heritage: the Legal Framework on the MA Sustainable Cultural Heritage Programme
- Supervising dissertations for the MA Sustainable Cultural Heritage Programme
- Taught Traffickers, Thieves and Forgers: Art Crime on the BA Archaeology and Classics Programme
- Taught Research Methodology and Bibliography on the BA Archaeology and Classics Programme
Honorary Research Associate, Institute of Archaeology, University College London, 1st September 2013-31st August 2015
- Researching archaeological labour, illicit antiquities trading and cultural property destruction
Research Associate, Centre for Applied Archaeology, University College London, London, UK, March 2012-present
- Researching illicit antiquities trading, cultural property destruction and conflict archaeology
DPhil in Law Studies (passed without correction), University of Sussex, 2005-2011. (ESRC studentship.)
Studies in Modern Greek Language and Culture, Stavros Niarchos International Centre of Hellenic Education – Culture and Vocational Training (DIKEPPEE) (lían kalós [A-/B+ or 2:1]), University of Ioannina, 2009-2010. (IKY scholarship.)
MSc in Social Research Methods (distinction), University of Sussex, 2004-2005. (ESRC studentship.)
MA in Cultural Heritage Studies (distinction), University College London, 2003-2004.
BA in Archaeology and Prehistory (2:1), University of Sheffield, 2000-2003.
Consultant, UNESCO, 6th February 2016-15th March 2016
- Performed a research study on Illicit Trafficking, Provenance Research and Due Diligence: the State of the Art
Consultant, Global Witness, 27th April 2015-29th May 2015
- Performed a scoping review of the contribution of illicit antiquities trading to paramilitary and terrorist financing, and the potential for policy and market reform
Journalist, freelance, 27th October 2014-11th February 2015
- Reporting and analysis of cultural destruction, illicit trade and labour struggle
Guest Lecturer, UCL Institute of Archaeology, London, UK, 13th January 2010-31st August 2013
Turkish Interviewer, EUCROSS, Sozialwissenschaftliches Umfragezentrum GmbH, London and Brighton, UK, February 2013-March 2013
- Identified and approached migrants eligible for interview
- Conducted personal history interviews
Illicit Trade Researcher, Walk of Truth, The Hague, the Netherlands, June 2012-December 2012
- Researched the illicit antiquities trade and cultural property destruction
- Developed an experts’ meeting and an international conference on the protection of cultural heritage at times of conflict and crisis
- Processed and digitised the Archive of the Honorary Consulate of the Republic of Cyprus in the Netherlands
- Liaised on an awareness-raising project with the British School in The Netherlands and edited the project book
Post-Excavation Worker, Boynton Hall Project, Boynton, UK, April 2012
English Teacher, Manchester Language Schools, Kayseri, Turkey, April 2011-August 2011
- Taught basic to advanced English to children and adults in one-on-one and group classes
- Proofread, copy-edited and translated academic material
MSc/DPhil Researcher, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK, October 2004-September 2010
- Researched the destruction of community and cultural property, and the trade in illicit antiquities
- Performed structural evaluation and significance assessment of cultural heritage sites
- Conducted ethnographic and oral history interviews of community members and cultural heritage professionals
- Performed fieldwork in Cyprus, Turkey and Kosovo
Fieldworker, Souskiou-Laona Settlement Project, Souskiou, Cyprus, March 2007-April 2007
Cultural Heritage Database Assistant, Supporting Activities that Value the Environment (SAVE), Nicosia and Famagusta, Cyprus, June 2006-August 2006
- Performed documentary and photographic archival research
- Compiled source-based site biographies
Fieldworker, Paliambela Archaeological Project, Paliambela, Greece, August 2004
(Archive/Database) Assistant, Palestine Exploration Fund (PEF), May 2004-July 2004
- Catalogued archives
- Contributed entries to database
Fieldworker, Paliambela Archaeological Project, Paliambela, Greece, August 2003-September 2003
Fieldworker, Paliambela Archaeological Project, Paliambela, Greece, July 2002-September 2002
Fieldworker, the Big Dig at Whitefriars, Canterbury, UK, June 2002-July 2002
Data processor, Consumers’ Association (via A. W. Moore), April 2002
- Copied, edited and formatted customer forms
Field Assistant, Bradbourne Landscape Project, Bradbourne, UK, September 2001
Field Assistant, Paliambela Archaeological Project, Paliambela, Greece, July 2001-August 2001
Casual Revenue Assistant, HM Inland Revenue, Hertford, UK, June 2001-September 2001
- Performed data processing and general administration
Casual Revenue Assistant, HM Inland Revenue, Walthamstow, UK, August 2000-September 2000
- Administered archives
Field Assistant, Ty Mawr Farm Project, Brecon, UK, July 2000
“The role of academics.” Expert participation in UNESCO training for Building Capacity on the Fight against Illicit Trafficking of Cultural Objects: Prevention, Cooperation and Restitution in Lebanon, Beit Mery, Lebanon, 2nd-4th December 2015.
“The role of academics.” Expert participation in UNESCO Training in the Fight against Illicit Trafficking and Restitution of Cultural Property in Syria, Beirut, Lebanon, 30th November-2nd December 2015.
“Illicit antiquities: From Cyprus, 1964 to Syria, 2014.” Lecture presented on the MA Public Archaeology Programme, Institute of Archaeology, University College London, London, UK, 19th November 2014.
“Illicit antiquities: Stories from the field.” Lecture presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology MA Public Archaeology Programme, London, UK, 3rd February 2014.
“A very dirty business in a very dirty war: The illicit trade in Syrian antiquities.” Lecture presented at the Department of Archaeology, Mardin Artuklu University, Mardin, Turkey, 9th January 2014. [ppt]
“The trade in illicit antiquities.” Seminar presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology MA Public Archaeology Programme, London, UK, 11th March 2013.
“Dealing in and with illicit antiquities: Understanding and reducing cultural property crime.” Lecture presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology MA Public Archaeology Programme, London, UK, 27th February 2013.
“The illicit antiquities trade in Cyprus: Using public data to reveal a secret business.” Lecture presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology MA Public Archaeology Programme, London, UK, 2nd February 2012.
“The illicit antiquities trade in Cyprus: History, policy, and reality.” Lecture presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology Public Archaeology Programme, London, UK, 24th January 2011.
“From paramilitaries to propagandists: Researching destruction and antiquities trading – a case study.” Seminar presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology Heritage Studies Research Section, London, UK, 9th December 2010.
“The ethics of looting and the politics of the illicit antiquities trade.” Seminar presented at the UCL Institute of Archaeology MA Public Archaeology Programme, London, UK, 13th January 2010.
“Interrogating archaeological ethics: Cultural work in conflict zones”. Seminar presented at the Sussex Law School Postgraduate Research Workshop, Brighton, UK, 23rd October 2008.
- Dutch (basic)
- English (native)
- French (basic)
- German (basic)
- Greek (advanced)
- Italian (basic)
- Turkish (advanced)
- research blogging
- copy-editing (of non-native newspaper articles, journal articles, book proposals and research theses), including rewriting some academic material as translation
- customer service
- technical work
Date of birth:
- 7th January 1982